Traditional Scottish Shortbread
• 1 cup butter, room temperature
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, separated
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. In a separate small bowl, combine 1 3/4 flour and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, then use a spatula to gently fold dry into wet until just incorporated.
3. Use remaining 1/2 cup flour to dust a large cutting board and rolling pin. Scoop dough onto floured board, then gently knead the dough until nearly all of the flour is incorporated. Use your floured rolling pin to roll the dough into a 1/2-inch thick rectangle. Cut into 1x3-inch strips. Transfer strips onto prepared cookie sheet. You can also use cookie cutters or a shortbread tin.
4. Bake shortbread in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden on top and around the edges. Allow to cool on stovetop for an additional few minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Cool completely and enjoy!